Monday, February 11, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup


Here is the Barefoot Contessa Chicken Soup recipe I referred to on my last posting that goes great with the Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich. The first time I made it, I sent some of the soup to a neighbor who wasnt' feeling well. When she returned my pot, her comment was "feel free to refill at anytime". I did end up using chicken stock from the market(I found Kitchen Basics Natural Chicken Cooking Stock to be the best) because I didn't have time to make my own stock and added a couple of cloves of garlic to the soup also.

Ingredients:

  • 1 whole (2 split) chicken breast, bone in, skin on
  • Olive oil
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 quarts homemade Chicken Stock (I used Kitchen Basics Natural Chicken Cooking Stock)
  • 1 cup medium diced celery (2 stalks)
  • 1 cup medium diced carrots (3 carrots)
  • 2 cups wide egg noodles
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the chicken breast on a sheet pan and rub the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with sale and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until cooked through. When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and shred or dice the chicken meat.

Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a large pot and add the celery, carrots, and noodles. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, until the noodles are cooked. Add the cooked chicken meat and parsley and heat through.

Season to taste and serve.

Source: Barefoot Contessa Family Style, 2002

No comments: