Saturday, March 15, 2008

Linguine With Shrimp Scampi


We had planned to go out to dinner on a Friday night, but I thought since I hadn't seen my family and friends in awhile, it would be nice to just stay home for dinner. Sometimes restaurants can get noisy and I wanted everyone to be able relax and enjoy each others company. I have to admit that I did go into a panic when I realized that most of my guests didn't eat meat on Friday because it was during Lent. My husband really doesn't eat fish, so I didn't really have alot of recipes that were without meat. I almost made a Vegetable Lasagna, but in going through my cookbooks I found this recipe for Linguine with Shrimp Scampi. I had made it once before but not for alot of people. It is a recipe that you can make easily while your guests are there and they can help. I got all the ingredients during my weekend shopping trip including the shrimp (I did cheat and used jumbo frozen cooked shrimp)and did all the chopping prep before my guests arrived(I was able to get out of work a little early). My cousin who was visiting for the weekend got the table set and helped clean up the kitchen, so all we had to do was make the scampi and linguine when everyone was ready to eat. I did forget the lemon slices, but dinner came out great anyway and leftovers the next day were even better. Enjoy!!

Ingredients:

  • Vegetable oil
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 Pounds linguine
  • 6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
  • 5 Tablespoons good olive oil
  • 3 Tablespoons minced garlic (9 cloves)
  • 2 Pounds large shrimp (about 32 shrimp), peeled and deveined **see note below**
  • 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 Cup Chopped fresh parsley
  • Grated zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 Cup Freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
  • 1/2 Lemon, thinly sliced in half-rounds
  • 1/4 Teaspoon hot red pepper flakes

Drizzle some vegetable oil in a large pot of boiling salted water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the linguine and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or according to the directions on the package. I personally like pasta "al dente" (firm but tender), but just cook linguine the way you and your family like best.

Meanwhile, in another large (12-inch) heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Be careful, the garlic burns easily. Add the shrimp, 1 tablespoon of salt and the pepper and saute until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.

When the pasta is done, drain the cooked linguine and then put it back in the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well and serve. Serves 6

**NOTE**
If using frozen cooked shrimp instead of fresh shrimp, you will have to adjust the recipe as follows.
Approximately 15 minutes before preparing meal, we place frozen shrimp in a colander and ran cold water over it for a few minutes(do not soak). Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel and set aside. Because the shrimp is already fully cooked and already pink you will have to adjust the scampi cooking time. I put everything together per the recipe instructions, but didn't add the shrimp until the last couple of minutes. You just want to warm the shrimp, not recook. Thanks Lorraine for the tip!!

Source: Ina Garten Barefoot Contessa Family Style, 2002

No comments: