Thursday, March 20, 2008

Peach Crumb


My family loves peach pie, cobbler, you name it and they will like it if it has peaches in it. What I am about to tell you might sound weird, but I have a phobia with touching peaches. It's the fuzzy skin on the peaches that I hate to touch. I know it sounds strange, but it's the truth. Anyway, to make a dessert with peaches, I had to find a way around my phobia, so I came up with an idea...use can peaches! You must be thinking "WHAT" but honestly, it works and it's easy. This recipe is for what I call Peach Crumb. I only came up with this because I was too lazy to make a pie crust or run to the market to buy a pie crust. I had the can peaches in the pantry, mixed up a crumb topping and the Peach Crumb was born. Serve with ice cream or just alone, trust me, everyone will love it.

Ingredients for filling:

  • 3 Large cans of sliced peaches -- drained
  • 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
  • Dash of salt

Drain the peaches well in a colander (I usually drain them for 1-2 hours). When fully drained, add other ingredients in a large bowl, stir together and set aside.

Ingredients for Crumb Topping:

  • 1 Cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup firm butter
  • 1/2 Cup brown sugar -- packed

Mix crumb topping ingredients together in a separate bowl until crumbly, set aside.

Then, butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Pour the filling in the casserole and top with the crumb topping so that the entire filling is covered.

Bake uncovered in a preheated 425 degree oven for 45-50 minutes. Cover topping with aluminum foil last 10 minutes of baking if you notice the top browning too quickly. Serve warm.

Oops, almost forgot, make sure you put the casserole dish on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil to catch any overflow drippings from messing up your oven.

No comments: