Sunday, May 18, 2008

Lemon Delight


This recipe has been around a long time. You make it in stages so it sounds like alot of work, but really it isn't. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can change the pudding to whatever you like best. I like to use pistachio pudding around Christmas or St. Patrick's day because of the green color. Chocolate pudding is, of course, my favorite. Also, if you don't like cool whip topping you can use homemade whipped cream. I tried using homemade whipped cream when I made this lemon delight recently and it was outstanding. My concern was that the homemade whipped cream would separate over time, but thanks to a neighbor's idea I was able to stiffen up the whipped topping so that it would stay together(see hint below). The lemon delight is really delightful and you will find yourself saying, can I have a second piece please!

Ingredients for crust: Mix together by hand

  • 2 sticks of butter, softened
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Spread above mixed ingredients in a 9x13 glass dish, bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until light brown. Set aside.

Ingredients for filling: Beat together with mixer

  • 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup confectionary sugar
  • 1/2 of 9 ounce carton cool whip

Spread over cooled crust and chill for 1/2 hour.

Hint: If using homemade whipped cream, measure out or eyeball 4 1/2 cups of whipped cream (do not use stiffening technique below for cream cheese layer).

Then, beat with mixer below ingredients 3 to 5 minutes or until pudding sets up:

  • 2 packages lemon instant pudding
  • 3 cups cold whole milk

Spread pudding over cream cheese mixture and chill for 1/2 hour.

Top with remaining cool whip and decorate with chopped walnuts, if desired.

Chill. This is best if made the night before so that the dessert can set up well.

Hint: The rule of thumb for stiffening up homemade whipped cream is for a cup of whipped cream, you will need to mix 1 tablespoon of water to 1 teaspoon of knox gelatin.
I had to experiment because I had never done this before, so this is what I ended up doing: I started with boiling a few cups of water in a teapot. While water was boiling I started beating with mixer the whipped cream recipe(use your favorite whipped cream recipe). Before it was blended completely, I stopped and set it aside. Because I didn't know exactly how much of the water and knox geletin I would need to add to the whipping cream, I measured out 4 tablespoons of water into a glass measuring cup and then added 4 teaspoons of knox gelatin and blend well. Make sure to let the water/geletin mixture cool because you don't want it hot when it goes into the whipping cream mixture.

Then I went back to the whipping cream and starting beating again and at the same time, I started pouring in slowly the water/gelatin mix. You don't need a lot, you will see it stiffening up as you are beating everything together. Again, you will have to experiment.

1 comment:

Saikat said...

Hi,
Saikat from BlogsJam here.
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the blog. we have 3 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget, a content widget and a tag cloud widget) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the widgets for your blog.

thx-Saikat

PS: If you have multiple blogs, these widgets can help you perform a traffic exchange between your own blogs.