Sunday, May 25, 2008

My Man Cookies


Here is a recipe for all you coconut/oatmeal lovers. Actually, I found that people who tell me they don't like coconut are the ones who are asking for the recipe first. The story of how my family actually acquired this recipe is cute so I wanted to share it with you. My family ran a small grocery/deli in our town. One of the services we offered was delivering groceries to homes. You have to remember, I'm going back 45 plus years ago. Customers would call their grocery order into the store and my grandfather, father and brother would take turns making the deliveries to their home. Well, one day Mrs. Tate, one of our good customers, called in an order and my brother headed over to her house to make the delivery. Upon arriving, he was greeted by the smell of freshly baked cookies. Mrs. Tate insisted he try some cookies and before he left she gave him some to share with the rest of us. Of course, we all loved them and my mom called her right away to get the recipe. So not only are these cookies delicious and easy to make, but it brings back fond memories every time I make them. Enjoy!

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Cream Together:

  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract


Stir in:

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
  • 2 cups oatmeal (I used quick cooking or 1 minute oats)


Using a small ice cream scoop, drop dough onto a cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown.

No comments: