Friday, June 27, 2008

Spinach & Bow Tie Pasta


Here is an Ina Garten recipe that I got my family and friends hooked on. Ina's recipe is called "Broccoli and Bow Ties" and it can be served as a side dish or by itself. I started making it with fresh spinach for something different and yes, I have to admit, I wanted to use up the spinach I had in the fridge. By using the spinach I also cut out having to cook the broccoli because I used the fresh, pre-washed spinach in a bag. This is another recipe that can be made ahead and reheated when ready to serve. The recipe below has been doubled already because I like leftovers and I am sure you will too.

Ingredients:

  • Kosher salt
  • 1 Large bag fresh, pre-washed spinach
  • 1 Pound farfalle (bow tie) pasta
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • Zest of 2 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup toasted pignoli (pine)nuts
  • Parmesan cheese, optional


Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to the package directions, about 12 minutes.

In a small pan, toast pignoli nuts being careful not to burn (you just want them lighltly browned). Remove from burner when done and set aside.

When pasta is almost done, melt butter and oil together in a small saute pan. Next add garlic and lemon zest. Cook over medium-low heat for 1 minute.

Remove butter/oil mixture from burner and add salt, pepper and the lemon juice.

When pasta done, drain well and put in large bowl (do not rinse pasta). Add fresh spinach and pour butter/oil mixture on top of pasta and spinach.

Fold all ingredients together, adding pignoli nuts and parmesan cheese until well combined.

IF MAKING WITH BROCCOLI: Cook the broccoli for 3 minutes in a large pot of boiling salted water. Remove the broccoli from the water with a slotted spoon, place in large bowl and set aside. When broccoli is removed from water, add pasta and cook.

Source: Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa Family Style,2002

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership and create more engaged users.
I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to also install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit).
You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:
Wowzio Widgets for your blog

I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ).
Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com