Sunday, September 28, 2008

Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze


On a recent episode of Everyday Italian, I watched Giada De Laurentiis make Lemon Ricotta Cookies. It caught my eye because the cookies looked similar to a cookie recipe that I have, however, my recipe doesn't call for ricotta cheese. The ricotta was actually the ingredient that I found very interesting in Giada's recipe. I guess I wasn't sure how ricotta cheese would taste in a cookie. Well, if you have been following my blog, you know by now that I have a sweet tooth. Even though I wasn't expecting anyone over and didn't have a special occasion to bake anything for, I just couldn't resist trying this recipe. So after printing the recipe off the FoodNetwork.com website and a quick trip to the supermarket, I was mixing up a batch of Giada's Lemon Ricotta Cookies. BEWARE....you can't stop at eating just one cookie. These cookies are so light, I dare you to try and eat only one cookie. What was really funny is our friends stopped over unexpectedly later that night. The cookies were still on the cooling rack, the house smelled like I was baking all day. Add a cup of coffee and you have a perfect setting. They loved the cookies as much as I did and so will you. Hope you get a chance to try this recipe. Most of the ingredients you probably have in the house already.

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 lemon, zested


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar. Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until incorporated. Add the ricotta cheese, lemon juice and lemon zest. Beat to combine. Stir in the dry ingredients.

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon the dough (about 2 tablespoons for each cookie) onto the baking sheets.

Bake for 15 minutes until slightly golden at the edges. Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest on baking rack for 20 minutes before glazing.

Glaze:

  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 lemon, zested


Combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon onto each cookie and use the back of the spoon to gentle spread. Let the glaze harden for about 2 hours.

Source: Giada De Laurentiis, Everyday Italian, FoodNetwork.com 9/25/08, Episode: Care Package

No comments: