Thursday, September 18, 2008

Vanilla Ice Cream Pie with Warm Berry Compote


As you can probably tell by now, desserts are my favorite (maybe that is why I can't lose weight). Well anyway, I saw this recipe in Bon Appetit Magazine and I couldn't resist trying it. It's basically a semi-homemade recipe that requires very few ingredients, it's quick to put together and can be made one day ahead. I followed the recipe and made the Compote right before we were ready to have dessert, however, next time I will just make it ahead and reheat. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I spooned the Compote onto each slice of pie when it was HOT....not the brighest idea on my part. Of course, the ice cream started melting a little faster than normal and my picture isn't the best, but you get the idea. Also I am sure any of your favorite ice cream flavors will work, I stuck to the recipe (even though chocolate is my favorite) and it was a delicious, light and refreshing dessert.

Ingredients:


  • 1 quart vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
  • 1 9-inch prepared chocolate-cooked pie crust or graham-cracker pie crust
  • 1/3 cup chocolate syrup (in quirt bottle)
  • 2 tablespoons toasted almonds, chopped, if desired
  • 2 6-ounce containers blueberries
  • 2 6-ounce containers raspberries
  • 2 6-ounce containers blackberries
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • Mint for decoration, if desired

Spoon softened ice cream into crust; smooth top.

Squeeze chocolate syrup in straight lines over pie, spacing 1/2 inch aparts. Draw tip of knife through chocolate lines, forming chevron pattern. Sprinkle with almonds, if desired and then freeze untl firm.I'm not that good that putting a design pattern on cakes or pies and did mess this one up a bit, but you should have seen everyone's eyes pop out when I took the pie out of the freezer. I even impressed myself with this one.

To prepare Compote: bring all berries, 2 tablespoons water and brown sugar to simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until sauce thickens, stirring gently, about 4 minutes; remove from heat and let cool slightly.

Cut pie into wedges; place on plates and spoon warm sauce over. Decorate with mint, if desired.


Source: Bon Appetit Magazine, Volume 52 Number 7, July 2007

No comments: