Sunday, April 27, 2008

Rustic Escarole and Cabbage Soup


While dating me, my husband was introduced to a variety of italian foods. His family background is a mix of Irish, German and English, so the extent of eating italian was Spaghetti and Meatballs every couple of weeks. When he first tried this soup, which we actually called "Monast", he enjoyed it so much he actually watched my grandmother make it so he could try it himself. Therefore, I have to admit, I never really made it myself since he got so good at it. Of course, he has altered the recipe a bit and so can you. Just start with basics and add or take out the ingredients as to your liking. Also, the ingredients are roughly chopped so you don't dice everything finely. This is a rustic type soup, so you want to see that there are onions, garlic, etc in the soup. Make it your own. My grandparents and parents owned a small deli so I remember eating this soup with the leftover ends of ham and salami in it, but since my husband likes the pepperoni and kielbasa combo we make it that way.

Ingredients:

  • 1 32 oz Carton Chicken Stock (we like Kitchen Basic brand)
  • 1&1/2 Sticks Pepperoni, cut in 3/4 inch chunks (we like Boars Head or Marguarita)
  • 1 Ring of Polish Kielbasa, cut in 2 inch chunks
  • 2 Onions, roughly chopped
  • 6 Cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
  • 4 Carrots, cut in chunks
  • 2 Stalks Celery, sliced
  • 2 Medium Size Potatoes, skin on, scrubbed and cut into 4 to 6 piece chunks each
  • 2 Small Heads of Escarole (or 1 large), rinsed thoroughly (we have substitued one bunch of Kale if Escarole was not available in the supermarket)
  • 1/2 Small Head of Cabbage, cut in chunks

Rinse escarole leaves thoroughly, break into pieces and set aside.

In a large pot bring to a boil chicken stock and pepperoni.

Add kielbasa, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, escarole and cabbage. Let all ingredients simmer together for approximately 30 minutes, adding 4 to 5 cups of water as needed to keep ingredients covered as it simmers.

Taste before serving, however, you shouldn't have to season because the pepperoni gives the soup alot of flavor.

Note: When I was little, my grandmother would break up bread in the bowl and then put the soup over it. To this day, I still eat it that way.

No comments: